How To Shoot Bunga The Paklan Style

this article not written by me..but undergo some editting work to make sure even a nerdy in this field can understand this ;)




Q:Who is pak lan?

Q: What is it about Bungagraphy?
A: it's about how to take good/better photo on flowers



Q: Is this a manual?
A: No, it's not. This is just a guide about how to approach Close ups/Macro, specifically on flowers.
This write up will cover on what you need in order to produce better-than-a-Point N Shoot photos.

Q: Are you a sifu?
A: No lah. I'm just a GWC.

Q: Then why waste doing this write up?
A: Sharing is caring. I always got these requests to take apprentice lah, do macro outing lah and blab la bla. Most of the time, I found out that the photographers themselves are not ready to venture in this genre. Some even totally out in terms of technical.

Q: So you're a sifu lah. Why so humble one?
A: If I'm a sifu, galleries would call me up to do exhibition already. As of now, even the mamaks also pay no attention to my flower photos.

Q: Then do outings lah, rather than do write up.

A: Yeah, right. So that I can drag my dry box to the taman and let everybody use my gears like those are theirs. Even memory card also have to sponsor.



Q: What is so good about flower photos?
A: Who say it's good? Flower photos are for gays. Nature close ups normally sit slightly above the snapshots at the very bottom of pyramid of photography.
If you're looking for glamor, go shoot leng lui. If you want to be a sifu fast tracked, shoot leng lui with film.
: What do I need, sifu?
A: **PAANNNGG!!!** (Give a slap). I told you I'm no sifu.

What you need:
1. Attitude
2. Gears
3. Subjects

1. Attitude
- Patience. Lots of it. Be it shooting in studio or on location. You go find some good subjects. You found it and come back tomorrow. When you arrived, it's raining cats and dogs.
Or, you already set up all your equipments. And nature loves you so much that the wind blows.
Or, you bought you subject for some studio shoot, only later you when you want to shoot, it layu already......
You need patience. And I believe it's ditto for all genres.

2. Gears
To make things simpler:
If No Money: Kit lens will do. Kit lens can also produce stunning photos if you know how to utilize it properly.
If Have Money: Invest in a flash, mini soft box and a dedicated macro lens.
If Have More Money: Full Frame bodies, 2 flashes, mini softbox and pro grade macro lens.
If Have So Much Money Until Don't Know What To Do:
- H4D 60
- Profoto strobes with big-big soft boxes and battery packs
- Hassy macro lens
- Pay me to shoot and later claim it's yours
If Lazy But Still Want to Be Sifu: Copy works from others in Facebook and paste here. Claim that those are yours.



Q. Ouch! That hurts. I thought you going to do a 100% spoon feeding thingy.
A: Yeah, right. I do spoon feeding and later you go tell everybody you learn all these by yourself. Banyak pandai......

Some Common Checklist
1. Tripod: Bring it along. Use or not use that's different issue. Don't be so lazy. You have to put some efforts in doing things, even masturbation.
2. Dust: Clear those off from your sensor and lens. We shoot small apertures here. Dust is an issue. Don't know how to clean? Sell off your gears and play kite.
3. Flash: Refer to No 2 above.
4. Your potential girl friend. If you want to impress her. Who knows, if she became kesian with you, later can bring you go check in at the hotel.....


Q: Like that ah...Aiyah, I don't have girl friend leh...
A: That also have to teach ah? Ngong koi...

Composition
In general, I usually follow the RO3. This is to bring balance to the Force, so that there will be no paksi kejahatan sitting on my photos.
Besides that, you have think in advance about these:
1. Some subjects do stand put in their environments.
2. Some have very nice stamens but ugly petals.
3. Some have very nice petals but the kambing already ate the stamens.
4. Some have nice leaves instead of the flowers.
5. Some have nice bud (not butt)
Also, most of the time, you need a secondary subject to complement the main subject. This is important if you want to convey a story or modd, metaphorically (which is my favorite).

The secondary subjects can be anything that can complement, be it a bee, wasp, other flower, leaf, cow dung, your middle finger or even your Mr. Flamingo also can.

Depth Of Field
When shooting close ups and or macros, you need to have sufficient DOFs to make your subjects stand out from the rest.
Normally, we use apertures from f8 to f11.
In some situations (i.e shooting only the stamens, which requires extreme close ups) we need to stop down untill f15 - f20.

Shutter Speed
I normally set it at the minimum of 1/100s even on tripod.
Why? Subject movements due to breeze.

Q: How do you shoot those bug in flight photos?
A: That I cannot teach you laaaa....
Simple actually:
1. Identify your bug.
2. Look for the pattern of it's movement.
3. Visualize your end product.
3. Set your camera to burst mode, AI Focus.
4. Spray and pray.

Q: OK, say we have perfect light, perfect composition, perfect DOF, everything are perfect. Do we need to PP?
A: Photography without Post Processing is like having an oral sex. It's not complete and not satisfying.

Post Processing
Most of my post processing are very minimal. I do the PP for:
1. Bring out the details
2. Enhance the colors
3. Cropping/cloning out unwanted elements (i.e out of sudden there's Sarip's Mr Flamingo hanging from the petals)
4. Watermark
It's really up to you on what software you want to use. Microsoft Paint oso can.

Q: Can I apply those tone-tone thingies in the photos? You know, like those portraits.
A: Can, can. Up to you lah. You think people care meh?


Q: Kaler™ or BnW?
A: Depends on the mood. My way is if you want to convey a negative mood (i.e despair, frustrated, etc), I'd use a BnW. If I want to convey a positive mooed (happiness, joy, etc), I'd use Kaler™. Furthermore, if I want people to call me sifu, I'd just convert to BnW, strip down all the exif and claim it's film. Easy.

Q: Can teach me how to PP ah?

A: Clever bastard. Go buy Scott Kelby books lah. RM3000 lens can buy, RM200 book cannot buy?










:::keharokkan apekah yang terjadi:::

semue gambo diatas adelah milik aku..x der dicilok di mane2 website..credit to chuah for his great camera n lens..
jom layan gambo lagi







enjoy aja :)

3 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    nanti nanti aku kawen...amik gmbr aku bole?agagaga


  2. saufiahmad Says:

    boleh jer
    ainn congrates er~


  3. Anonymous Says:

    tq sopi.nantiii aku tuntut..lpas tu ko buat st album antik untuk aku yg mcm ko dapatla..ekekeke.tu aku byr:D